Thursday, February 11, 2010

20 Questions


Twenty Rules for Making a Good Design: Summary

After reading the article 'Twenty Rules,' I found myself reflecting on my design process, and thinking about the current projects I am working on now. In the heat of a big project(s), it is easy to get caught up in "designing" and turning out a lot of work. Consequently, the thought process and intention behind the design can easily become lost. Deadlines and time management always seem to get the best of me, and a lot of the rules mentioned in this reading become after thoughts or something I forget to actually consider during while designing. I thought these rules were a great reminder of some of the basic design principles we've been taught that have been forgotten or ignored as we get involved in a project. For me, I read each rule and tried to reflect on how I did or didn't follow that rule, and what things I could do or consider in my current and future projects to improve all aspects of my design, from the process to the end product. In the final stages of book covers and identity systems, now is the time that reading these rules and evaluating our work based on them can make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful end product.

The rules I felt were most important:

1) Have a concept- I think this is probably the most important rule, like stated in the reading, it doesn't matter how beautiful a design is, if it doesn't have an idea or story behind it, it is an empty shell. I think the most valuable part of the design process is the initial research and brainstorming that help develop a strong concept. It seems to always take me longer to come up with a concept, but once I do, everything goes smoother, and I have a direction to follow and know what I'm doing... (for the most part :)

7) If you can do it with less, then do it.- Going back to having a strong concept, "if the concept and form are truly beautiful, there can be very,very little to look at- without sacrificing a rich experience." I think it's always important to evaluate what you have in front of you, and decide if it is serving a purpose or enhancing the design...if it's not--get rid of it!
*Keywords: less is MORE.

12) Squish & separate- "Without contrast, you're dead." -Paul Rand
This rule is one I feel I don't consider, or aim to achieve near enough, and also one that I think is essential to all good design. Creating a dynamic design is challenging at times, but by using contrasting elements, you can create rhythm, tension, and "give the page a pulse," which keeps it from becoming boring and static.

17)Be universal,remember that it's not about you. - I think to explain this one, the caption that goes with the picture I posted above pretty much sums it up. "One of the reasons you like this poster so much is that it speaks to our common knowledge so clearly; it feels almost as if it hasn't been designed. A hot-colored circle floating over a cool blue horizon and punctuated by a refreshing yellow field pretty much explains itself."

Rules I need to practice more:

13) Distribute light and dark like firecrackers and the rising sun. I think this is something I could definitely improve on. I don't think a lot about light and dark contrasts when I'm designing. I think paying closer attention to details like that could help me make better design choices about the images and colors I choose, and how they interact with each other.

14) Be decisive- "Do it on purpose or don't do it at all." This is probably what I struggle the most with. I can be very indecisive at times, and tend to second guess myself a lot, especially when I'm back and forth on my design and/or concept. I also am always wanting to keep exploring different ideas and solutions, and deciding on one to go with, complete, and refine ends up taking me way more time than it should. I think by doing exercises that require writing out what my concept is, and what the mood I am trying to achieve, can be helpful very useful when determining what direction to go.

15) Measure with eyes, design is visual- This is a problem I just recently had, I was trying the align my stacked text to the height of my logo, and used a grid and rulers to make sure they lined up perfectly. Even though technically they were evenly aligned, optically the words appeared too big, and like they extended past the logo.

Rules I wish I could ignore at times:

6) Pick colors on purpose: Although I do believe this is an important rule, and I try to make my color choices relevant to my projects, I definitely have certain colors that I prefer to work with, and that appeal more to me than others. At times, it can be challenging to use certain colors that you don't particularly care for, but use anyways because they are appropriate for the content of the project.

17) Be universal. This is a rule that I think is one of the most important, and also one of the rules that makes designing more complicated. When you have to consider how other people will relate and respond to your work, your opinion and personal style matters a little less. You have to remember that you are designing for someone else, not yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Morgan I have the same issue with practicing the "do it on purpose or don't do it all all" rule as well. I think we are similar in that we are indecisive and second guess decisions we make about our designs. I think if we would just start with a concept right away we would still be just as successful with our designs (and save a lot of time at the lab! :))

    ReplyDelete